Community Futures Huron has been an active proponent of social enterprise for years, reaching back to successful initiatives like the Rural Social Enterprise Constellation.
Through these experiences, CFH has come to define social enterprise as business ventures operated by non‐profits, whether they are societies, charities, or co‐operatives. These businesses sell goods or provide services in the market for the purpose of creating a blended return on investment ‐ financial, social, environmental or cultural.
For example, a social enterprise might provide valuable services to a population in need, e.g. Huron County Food Bank Distribution Centre or support employment for vulnerable clients e.g. Dashwood Industries.
But our definition does not include private enterprises with a social or environmental bent e.g. Cowbell Brewery, Homegrown Food Box. The distinction is important.
Under the terms and conditions of our FedDev agreements, we are allowed, even encouraged, to provide no interest loans of up to $250,000 to social enterprises as we define them.
* The Business Loan Application Process Step-by-Step
- Applicant completes the online application and uploads their completed Business Plan, past financial statements, 12-month cashflow projection and two pieces of ID.
- Documentation is reviewed by the Lending Consultant.
- Lending Consultant and applicant have discussions to clarify points in business plan or application as needed.
- If it is recommended to the Community Futures Huron Board of Directors for approval, Community Futures Huron will complete a credit check.
- Application is presented to the Community Futures Huron Board of Directors for approval.
- If approved, a Letter of Offer is extended to the applicant for signature and return to Community Futures Huron.
- Funds are normally made available within 2 weeks after the Letter of Offer is returned to Community Futures Huron.
- There is a 2% loan development and maintenance fee (to a maximum of $2,000) that is paid up front after the loan is approved.
- Applicants are responsible for all legal costs to complete the loan securitization package. These funds can be paid for from the proceeds of the funds to be borrowed.
- Maximum loan size is $250,000.00 to be used for the purchase of fixed assets, leasehold improvements, inventory, expansion, start-up or working capital or a combination of any along with some consolidation.
- Flexible repayment terms and no prepayment penalties.
If you get stuck in the application, just contact Tina, and she’ll help to get you on track.